610-701-9243 wche@wche1520.com

An underground electrical fire in downtown West Chester spread to two buildings’ electrical panels and caused a Carbon Monoxide buildup that sent five fire fighters to Chester County hospital Wednesday. According to PECO spokesman, Greg Smore, an underground cable was the source of that fire. Smore said that the issue was first reported around 3:15 Wednesday afternoon. PECO crews then worked to shut off service to 79 customers in the area to ensure the safety of the residents. Smoke was first reported near the Chester County Justice Center on West Market Street. Firefighters then received a call for two fires in basements on the 200 block of West Gay Street. When fire fighters entered the buildings, a buildup of Carbon Monoxide from the underground fire caused West Chester Assistant Fire Chief Mark Scanlon to collapse while exiting the building. According to Fire Chief Mike McDonald, Scanlon was treated at the scene where he briefly lost consciousness and will be kept overnight for observation. Four other firefighters were also overcome by Carbon Monoxide and treated at the hospital.  The fire was totally extinguished by 7 p.m. Smore said that power was restored to 42 of those 79 customers by 6:30 p.m., with all but one customer’s power restored by 12:30 Thursday morning.